President Donald Trump on Friday defended his decision to temporarily pause tariffs on imported beef and said he would ease tariffs on up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef imported into the United States for the next 90 days to reduce grocery prices ahead of the November midterm election. The White House is moving to manage prices from the top down, with consumers, ranchers, and foreign exporters all forced to live with the fallout of a deal made behind closed doors.
Trump said the move would help bring down beef prices and that voters wanted lower prices. "We want to get the beef prices down, so we’ll get them down a little bit, and that’s what people want. That’s what the voters want, and that’s what I want," Trump told reporters on his way to South Carolina. He also said, "They’ve done a fantastic job. But they admit that we need a little help," referring to ranchers he called his "people." The language is plain enough: the president is treating grocery bills as campaign material, and the people who actually raise cattle are being folded into the political script whether they like it or not.
Who Gets Squeezed
Trump said in an Aug. 21 post on Truth Social that he had reached a deal for foreign ground beef exporters to sell their product at a 25% discount in exchange for not paying U.S. out-of-quota tariffs on foreign beef. He said, "This deal will reduce prices for Americans while giving space for our Great American Beef Herd to grow again." A White House official said Trump is expected to sign an executive order within the next two weeks formalizing the move. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the deal is intended to be a short-term action to fill a gap to meet consumer demand, while the Trump administration works with ranchers to expand domestic beef production for the long term. That’s the familiar arrangement: immediate relief promised from above, long-term dependence left in the hands of the same institutions that created the shortage and now claim to solve it.
Trump would not say which countries were part of the agreement. "I don’t want to say which countries, but there are a few countries, but they’re going to be sending in the highest quality beef, and it’s something that we need," he said. Later, he again declined to identify the countries involved. The deal may be sold as efficiency, but the details stay hidden until the machinery is already moving.
Who Objects, and Why
The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association criticized the move. In one statement, the group wrote, "No cow-calf producer in America is asking for increased imports. Undercutting American farmers and ranchers with inferior product from foreign competitors does nothing to create market confidence or encourage rebuilding the herd." In another statement, it said, "While America’s cattle producers share the goal of keeping groceries affordable for consumers, flooding the market with government-subsidized, below-market beef is not the way to rebuild the American cattle herd." The association’s complaint lands on the same old contradiction: the state says it is protecting consumers, while producers are told to absorb the hit and call it policy.
Sen. Chuck Grassley said he was "concerned for the cattle markets," citing the closure of a Tyson beef plant in Joslin, Illinois, earlier this month and the White House action. "After Tyson closure in Illinois last wk I’m concerned for the cattle markets +now Pres Trump’s decision to temporarily open up subsidized beef imports," the Iowa Republican posted on X. "USA cattlemen shld always be put 1st thru America 1st policies Need 2keep up progress fighting screwworm+ expanding domestic herd." Even here, the answer offered is still a policy slogan, still a plea to the same system that keeps deciding who gets protected and who gets exposed.
Sen. Tim Sheehy of Montana said he had advised Trump against the action for a year. "I’ve advised President Trump against this course of action for a year because American ranchers have been struggling against the packer monopoly for decades, and this will further harm them - most of whom are MAGA Republicans," Sheehy wrote on X. He added that Trump’s "heart is in the right place" for wanting to lower prices for U.S. consumers and noted that the screwworm is affecting prices. "But the reality is this action will make it more difficult for American ranchers to rebuild our herd and bring prices down for the American people. And most importantly, this will harm our ranching families who feed the nation," Sheehy said. The senator’s own words point straight at the hierarchy: ranchers are trapped between packer monopoly power and federal price management, with families left to eat the costs.
Sen. Deb Fischer of Nebraska said she was "extremely disappointed" by Trump’s decision. "We all want lower grocery prices, but as I’ve said for months, we cannot do it at the expense of American producers. Flooding the market with foreign beef hurts our livestock industry and undermines the long-term solution: growing the U.S. cattle herd to meet demand," Fischer said. That long-term solution still runs through the same centralized channels, with producers expected to rebuild under conditions they don’t control.
What the White House Says
Pressed on Sheehy’s comments, White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller said, "No administration has been more pro-rancher than this administration taking extraordinary actions under USDA to protect and ensure the security of our food supply chain — but again, there’s been, there was an outbreak of screwworm in Mexico." He said the move is "a specific, temporary deal to address an acute issue." The administration’s defense is classic state language: emergency, security, temporary measure. The power stays concentrated, the justification changes.
Trump’s move comes as the price of beef and veal was up 9.4% in the United States in July over the previous year, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The American Farm Bureau Federation said in a May report that U.S. beef imports entering under quota "generally face a tariff of just 4.4 cents per kilogram, while imports above quota face a 26.4% tariff." The federation also said imported beef into the United States had increased 122% in five years. The article said domestic cattle supplies remain at multi-decade lows after years of drought, the spread of the parasitic New World screwworm near the Mexican border and other factors. Those numbers show the pressure on the market, but the decision still comes from the same place: a presidential office trying to steer prices, votes, and supply chains with one hand on the tariff lever.